Friday, May 29, 2009

Progress Report: #3, #14, #44, #84

#3: Have Justin teach me how to golf
So, while Justin hasn't exactly started to teach me how to golf, we DID go to the Driving Range this weekend when we were in LI, so I figured I'd count that as to have something to share on the blog. He did his best to show me how to bring the club back correctly, how to flick my wrists, how to not jump up when I follow through. So I'm still in the infancy of my golfing education, however, I did hit a few balls relatively well AND even managed to hit the sign that said "Can't Hit This Sign?" a few times! I even have pictures to prove it, which I will add shortly.

#14: Go to brunch once every 2 months (not just at the diner)
Ok, so I'm only going to count this once, since we go here every time we're in LI (sometimes twice): Maureen's Kitchen. We are completely obsessed with this place!! Justin's sister introduced us to it last year and it's become an LI ritual ever since. It's about a 20-30 minute drive from J's parents house but well worth it. It's a small family-run place, super cute and kitchy decor (involving cows and cowprint everywhere) and is only open til 3 during the week and 1:45 on the weekend. They have a good amount daily breakfast and lunch specials every day, which are extremely creative and unique. Justin ALWAYS (a good 98% of the time) will get the Croissant French Toast of the day, which comes with cream cheese in the center (warmed from the french toast, sometimes flavored) and various fruits that change each time we're there. I tend to enjoy the lunch specials more and will more often get those - this weekend I did get an amazing omellete of chicken sausage, roasted peppers, scallions and asiago cheese. On our second go, I got the Cranberry Chicken Salad Sandwich with white cheddar, which was to die for and so large that I was able to take the second half home and eat it for lunch the next day (which is something I almost always try to do on our last day on the island, so I can bring some Maureen's love into work the next day. Countdown to our next Maureen's trip: about 29 days.

#44: Make (or order in) one vegetarian meal per week
Happily, it looks like I eat vegetarian for dinner a good amount! I ate my beloved Eggplant Rollatini from Abitino's on Mon/Wed (the portion is big enough to get two dinners out of it!) and last night I had a make-your-own Pasta Primavera in Pesto Sauce from The Bread Factory. What I need to work on next is eating more vegetarian meals that DON'T include pasta!

#84: Plan a group wine-tasting trip
Justin and I are planning two wine-tasting trips this summer to the North Fork! I finally took the initiative this week to email out dates and get the planning ball rolling. We're keeping the groups small so that we don't have to deal with a limo/van and the added costs there, which also cuts down severely on the stress and planning for me! Woohoo! I wish the summer was longer so that all the weekends didn't book up so quickly!