Monday, July 27, 2009

Tomorrow is Another Day!

#4: Watch all of AFI's 100 best movies of all time

Justin and I partook in another classic on Sunday night - Gone with the Wind!



This is one classic I've been really excited to re-watch. I've seen it a few times before and loved it - I even own the DVD. Re-watching these movies now that I'm older (and have to listen to Justin's gripes) has been an interesting experience. When I was younger and super into old movies, they could do no wrong, I just loved them all so much. Now, I still adore these old movies, but can allow myself to see some flaws here and there or have some complaints. Knowing that Justin has a different mindset when watching these movies, maybe just since he hasn't seen as many as I have, he can't help but compare them to movies nowadays, which you really can't. I think he enjoys making jokes about old movies more than actually watching them!

Anyway, I was a little worried that on a Sunday night, I might not want to watch the full epic that is Gone with the Wind (which is a 2 disc set totalling 4 hours) - but I was still riveted! I love the music, the colors (love when they show a dark Scarlet standing in front of a breathtaking sunset or sunrise), the characters, the drama. I do realize that the second half of the movie is much slower/less interesting than the first and could have easily been shortened.

Oh well...I think that in the future, whenever Justin opens his mouth to complain, I'm just going channel Scarlett and say one thing to him: Fiddle-dee-dee!

Reviews:
FilmSite.org
ReelViews
Roger Ebert